Saturday, September 19, 2015

Planting Sugar Cane in Container

When I visited my friend's organic farm about a month ago, I was sent home with some Okra, passion fruit and two stalks of sugar canes(of different varieties). I purposely asked for it since I want to try to plant sugar cane in container. So he made sure that the stalks has suckers sprouted from its knuckles/joints.



There are some suggested ways of how to plant sugar cane: 
1)You can cut the stalks in between the joint/ knuckles and plant each knuckles horizontally. 2)You can also plant the stalk by sticking it right into the soil/ container (vertically) 3)and you may also soak the stalk in the water for a week or two to root first.




As for me, I like to make things simple. So I just stick them into a big container which I used to plant eggplants. And I follow the progress every week. Apparently, I see some signs of growth as the suckers grow taller and after a month or so I can see small roots poking out from the bottom of each sucker. Well, it seems that the time for re-potting will come soon... Happy Gardening Y'all !








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...